I remember when almost every house on every block would display their holiday decorations. I remember when we only had two holidays in December - Christmas and Hannukah. I remember every major store had a jolly Santa who didn't smell and was always happy to see you. I remember when these Santas would give you a free candy cane and you could have your picture taken for only a few dollars.
I remember when we would receive what seemed like hundreds of Christmas cards each year from friends, family members, and even businesses (remember the free calendars?). I remember families getting together on Christmas day for dinner, presents and good times.
I remember the wonderful Christmas movies that appeared on my TV screen each year plus the animated specials (Charlie Brown was best!). I remember neighborhoods getting together to go caroling house to house, not for donations but for the sheer joy of it. I remember when the towns would all put up Christmas decorations along their major streets before it became 'politically incorrect' to do so.
Today, the Christmas spirit seems to be at an all-time low and in danger of becoming extinct. Christmas trees are now 'holiday trees' because we wouldn't want to insult the Muslims and their religion (yes, the same Muslims who want us Americans to rot in Hell). Christmas vacation for our kids is now a 'holiday or winter break' and there are no more Christmas shows put on by the children.
Christmas has become bland and commercialized, just as we feared. Families are spread throughout the country and it is becoming increasingly hard to come together as one.
Christmas spirit? I remember...
Wednesday, December 6, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment